Monday, March 23, 2009

Free Felted Coasters Crochet Pattern


I saw something similar to this somewhere and thought it might be fun to make up a set. The coasters and their case make an easy project for the beginning crocheter - they work up fast and make an unusual gift. You'll need:
  • about 3 oz of 100% wool medium weight yarn. (Make sure it's wool - otherwise it won't felt.) I like Lion Wool Brand and Paton's Classic Wool. If you are using 2 colors like I did, a couple oz. of each color should be enough.
  • a size F or G crochet hook
  • a 28-30 oz can of vegetables (say, a 28 oz. can of tomatoes)
  • a zippered mesh laundry bag (like the kind you wash delicates in)
  • a tennis ball or a pair of jeans
You're going to do all the crocheting in a spiral rather than end each round and start a new one. I think working in spirals is SOOO much easier, plus it's going to be felted in the end anyway so who will know?


THE COASTER (Make 4 of these):

  1. Make a circle of 6 SC. You can do this one of two ways. You can CH 2 and then make 6 SC in the second CH from the hook. Or, you can use the 'Magic Adjustable Ring.' Check the video I have for this if you don't know what I'm talking about.
  2. Make 2 SC in each SC around (12 SC total.)
  3. (SC 1, 2 SC in the next stitch) all the way around (18 SC total.)
  4. (SC 2, 2 SC in the next stitch) all the way around (24 SC total.)
  5. (SC 3, 2 SC in the next stitch) all the way around (30 SC total.)
  6. (SC 4, 2 SC in the next stitch) all the way around (36 SC total.)
  7. (SC 5, 2 SC in the next stitch) all the way around (42 SC total.)
  8. (SC 6, 2 SC in the next stitch) all the way around (48 SC total.)
  9. SL ST to next stitch and finish off.

THE CASE:

  1. Repeat steps 1-8 of the coasters.
  2. (SC 7, 2 SC in the next stitch) all the way around (54 SC total.) If you want a two-toned holder, here is a good place to switch to your second color.
  3. SC in each stitch all the way around (54 SC total.)
  4. Repeat step 3 for 9 more times.
  5. SL ST to the next stitch and finish off.

FELTING:

Now you are ready to felt this stuff. Put everything in that mesh laundry bag and put it in your washing machine with that tennis ball or pair of jeans. The tennis ball (or jeans) will help agitate the wool and get it to felt up. Set the wash on the lowest water setting, the highest agitation setting and use hot water. Run it through a wash and rinse cycle. If the pieces aren't felted enough to your liking, you can wash 'em again. Trim any loose ends. Now to shape everything. It should be pretty easy to get the coasters flattened out - just stretch with your hands, if needed . As for the case, put it over the end of the vegetable can and tug it into shape. You make have to pull a bit on this one. It should look something like this (can you tell I live in Texas?):


Once you get it evened out, let everything just sit until it's dry. This could take up to 24 hours but overnight usually does it for me. That's it! Here's my set going for a test drive.

Let me know how yours turn out!

5 comments:

The WoodLand School said...

Thank you for sharing this pattern! What a fun project : )

MamaMay said...

cute project. I would like to have some once I am done with this move.

Mama Wolfe said...

Wow, this looks easy and fun for a holiday gift! Thanks for sharing!!!

Mrs. Neu said...

thanks for sharing, making some right now!

Anonymous said...

I'm making some now as well! They had Lion's brand wool in the discount store near my house (Job Lot) and I bought a few colors to try my hand at felting. I can't wear wool, I'm allergic. :P I may increase the size and make some hot plates as well. Thanks for the tutorial!